Saturday, February 12, 2011

Add a Little Spice to Your Life!

A fairly new company, Prometheus Springs has come out with a new drink concoction that is suppose to increase your metabolism.  These elixirs each contain heat (the capsaicin) extracted from chili peppers, layered with a blend of refreshing gourmet flavors. There has been studies that capsaicin boosts your metabolism, that's why is always good to incorporate spices like tumeric, curry, cayenne pepper and even crushed red peppers into your meals. I like the drink because its an organic drink and each drink is about 160-180 calories (about the same as a snapple), not too bad.

I read about this product from VitalJuice (great site for healthy tips and ideas) and I felt I needed to give it a try since I love trying new things and the flavor blends peeked my interests.  I couldn't seem to find them anywhere except in NYC but I went to visit some family in Jersey and they happen to have a Wegman's (god I wish they had them by me) and they had all three flavors.  So I took the challenge to try all three and they were awesome.

There are currently three flavors Pomegranate Black Pepper, Lychee Wasabi and Lemon Ginger; coming soon there will be three more flavors...I can't wait to see what they will be.  You would think these flavors are a little crazy and that your inside couldn't bear the idea of drinking something with black pepper and wasabi.  But its the master blending of the super spicy and the sweet that makes it great.  I would have say that my least favorite was the Pomegranate Black Pepper and the most flavor combination was the Lychee Wasabi.  If you are apprehensive about trying this drink but you still feel you want to try at least one I would the Lemon Ginger a try, it is the least craziest of the flavors.  Each flavor starts out sweet and then you feel the heat tingling on your tongue.  They recommend trying it neat (maximum spice), on the rocks (tame the spice), chilled (refreshing kick),  or warm (to cure a cold), depending on how intense you want to taste the spice. If you go on the website there are even drink recipes to create masterful mixology creations with beer, rum and tequila.

What I would love for you to also do is contact your local health food stores, like I did when contacting Whole Foods and request that they carry this product.  Prometheus Springs does list local stores distributors, but as I said most are in NYC or California and they also offer the choice to order it directly from the source but you have to buy it by the case. 


I think the next time I purchase some more I will try to play around with  Pomegranate Black Pepper with some agave tequila, lime juice, agave syrup and rim the glass with some black pepper, kosher salt and cayenne pepper.  Make my own little version of a spicy margarita.  I will let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment