Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sanctuary T

So I'm doing an article for The Boulevard magazine on this place.  It's really quite special.  www.sanctuaryt.com
Take a look at their website, but further more, check out the restaurant.  I got a chance to experience their Food & Tea Pairing - life altering moment.  Who knew tea could be so complex.  Tea is life a fine wine if you think about it.  Same complex flavors are dependent of the soil, the air, the picker, the grower and how its aged.  My favorite tea by far is the Rooibos Chai.  Can't seem to find the same complexity anywhere else (I tried, Starbucks' teas are just not cutting it anymore).  The Rooibos, "red tea", means "red bush" in Africa.  The plant is indigenous to South Africa and is part of the legume family.  The leaves are oxidized to produce a reddish-brown color.  Rooibos is a naturally sweet tea, best without any sugar, which if you are a true fan of teas, I recommend trying them without any sweetener or milk.  Rooibos lacks any caffeine and is high in antioxidants and flavanols.  It's great at the end of the meal, which is how I experienced it.  The Rooibos Chai (blended with indian spices of cardamon, cloves, cinnamon bark, nutmeg) was paired with a Tea-infused Coffee ice cream and chocolate brownie.  The combination of tea, ice cream and brownie reminded me of a piece of toffee candy.

If you don't have the time to get to the restaurant, visit the shop www.shopsanctuaryt.com/
I recommend trying their T Sampler kit.  It comes equipped with most popular flavors for the end of summer treats: Watermelon (I tried this as a cold-brewed tea, great as a watermelon-lemonade mocktail), Red Moon, Geisha Beauty, Spring Harvest and Serenity.

Let me know what you think?

1 comment:

  1. Great place! When I lived downtown with Kelly we used to go a lot.. I know Kelly still goes there and enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete